- When Is the Deadline to Renew a Passport in India?
- Documents Required for Passport Renewal
- Online Passport Renewal Process Registration in India
- How to Book a Slot for a Passport Renewal Appointment
- How to Check the Status of Your Passport Renewal Application
- How Does Passport Renewal After Expiry Work?
Welcome reader, this post will help you passport renewal process and you will be easily able to renew your passport.
Passports are important documents that allow citizens to travel abroad. Every Indian citizen who leaves or plans to leave the country must have a passport or other acceptable form of identification. According to the Passports Act of 1967, the Indian government is authorised to issue a variety of passports and travel documents, including the Emergency Certificate, Ordinary Passport, Diplomatic Passport, and Certificate of Identity.
Another important thing to note is that re-issuing a passport differs from renewing one. The passport agency issues you your current passport as a renewed one in the event that your passport needs to be renewed. In the case that your passport has been lost, stolen, or damaged, you can apply for a reissue and receive a new one. If you have questions like, ‘What is the passport renewal process in India?’ or ‘What documents do I need to submit?’, then you’ve come to the right place. This article will tell you all about the passport renewal process in India.
Adults receive their passports with a 10-year validity. You can request a new passport up to one year before it expires, but not before. Passport validity for minors under 18 is limited to five years, or until they turn 18, whichever comes first. However, adolescents between the ages of 15 and 18 can apply for either a passport with a 10-year validity or one that is valid until they turn 18. However, you can request a new passport if your personal information changes or your old one is lost or damaged.
The applicant must provide a few required documents while applying for a passport renewal in India. Below is a list of all the mandatory documents you will need to provide to get your passport renewed in the country.
A self-attested photocopy of:
- The first two and last two pages of the old passport and in its original form
- ECR/Non-ECR page (short for Emigration Clearance Required)
- Any page of observation made by the passport issuing authority,
- Prior Intimation Letter (PI) or No Objection Certificate (NOC), and
- The validity extension page for a Short Validity Passport (SVP), if any
- Original Passport along with self-attested photocopies of:
- its first two and last two pages
- ECR or Non-ECR page
- The validity extension page, if any, in the case of a passport with a limited validity period (SVP)
- Any page of observation given by the passport issuing authority
- The validity extension page for SVPs
- Prior Intimation Letter or No Objection Certificate
- Documents can be certified by parents for underage candidates.
- If parents have passports, they need to bring their originals and self-attested copies to Passport Seva Kendra (PSK)
- For candidates under 18, a document proving current address in the name of the parent(s) may be supplied.
It should be noted that the information presented above is only preliminary. It might change depending on the decision of your local passport officer.
The first step in submitting an online application for a passport renewal is to create an account on Passport Seva’s official website. You can register to renew your passport in India by following the necessary steps given below:
1. To renew your passport, you must first register on the Passport Seva website.
2. If you are already logged in to the website, click the “Login Id” option. You can also register a new account by going to “Register to apply at > Passport Office on the homepage of Passport Seva Online Portal.
3. Next, complete the form with the necessary information—such as your date of birth, email address, and preferred passport office—and click Register to submit the form.
4. Now, a link for activation will now be sent to you through email. Simply click on the link in the email to confirm the new account registration.
When you fill out the application for a passport renewal, the system will automatically assign an appointment date and time based on the slots that are available at your chosen Passport Seva Kendra. Additionally, appointments at PSKs must now be scheduled with the payment of the passport service cost in advance. Through the Passport Seva Online Portal at www.passportindia.gov.in, you can avail the several different online payment options for paying Indian passport renewal fees including debit cards and credit cards (Visa and Mastercard), SBI internet banking, and bank challan.
To fill out an application and book a slot for a passport renewal appointment, follow the procedures below:
1. Create a User ID by registering on the Passport Seva Online Portal.
2. Use your valid account credentials to log in.
3. In the Services section, select the Apply for Fresh Passport or Reissue of Passport option.
4. Create an ARN using the Online Form or by Uploading an eForm under the regular or Tatkaal Scheme.
5. On the View Saved/Submitted Applications screen, choose Schedule Appointment (if payment has already been completed) or the Pay and Schedule Appointment (if not).
The link to “Pay and Schedule Appointment” will only be accessible if you haven’t already paid for an appointment.
The following two choices will appear on the screen after clicking the link:
1. Online Payment (Debit Card, Credit Card, SBI internet banking)
2. Challan Payment (Pay in Cash at SBI Branch)
3. Click the Next button after selecting the Online Payment option.
4. Choose the “Appointment Quota” (Normal/Tatkaal) option.
5. Now, select your preferred Passport Seva Kendra. The system will now show the earliest date for an appointment for the chosen PSK.
6. Click the Pay and Book Appointment button to be redirected to your preferred payment gateway after you have checked the information.
After a successful payment, the Appointment Confirmation page and appointment information will be displayed on the screen.
To print the appointment receipt, which includes information about your Payment Reference Number, click the Print Application Receipt option. This will reserve your spot at the local Passport Seva Kendra.
Are you anxiously scouring the internet for “passport renewal status online”?
If so, you will require the following:
1. Your 15-digit Passport File Number that you get with your passport renewal application
2. Your date of birth
To track your passport renewal application online, follow the steps outlined below:
1. Go to Passport Seva Portal and sign in. Navigate to the ‘Track Your Application Status’ section. Choose the type of passport from the drop-down menu.
2. In the appropriate boxes, enter your 15-digit file number and date of birth. Then, select ‘Track Status.’ The next screen will show the current status of your passport application.
Toll-free number: You can also check the status of your passport renewal by calling the National Call Centre at 1800-258-1800, which is toll-free and open from 8:00 am to 10:00 pm.
SMS alerts: By sending an SMS with “STATUS FILE NUMBER” from your registered contact number to 9704100100, you can receive information on the status of your passport application.
Did you forget to renew your passport after it expired years ago? Not to worry. You must complete a new Passport Application Form and apply for a passport re-issue. Please keep in mind that a new police verification will be required if the passport was issued more than three years ago. When completing the application form for a passport renewal after expiry, you must provide prior passport information such as the passport number, date of issue, date of expiration, and place of issuance.
Read more interesting How Tos on WBDSTBT.in