Is Grace and Frankie Season 8 Coming or Not?
The final season of Grace and Frankie was released by Netflix in late April, leading some fans to wonder if the series would continue beyond its seventh season. However, it was previously announced that Season 7 would be the last for the show, starring Jane Fonda and Lily Tomlin. Therefore, there will not be Grace and Frankie Season 8.
“Jane, Lily, Sam and Martin have become role models for fans of all ages around the world,” she continued. “We’re so proud to have been a part of the show’s journey from day one.” Of course, the show’s main stars Tomlin and Fonda also released a statement about the end of the series. In their joint message they noted that whilst they were sad that the series had to come to an end; they expressed gratitude for what had been accomplished.
The final season of Grace and Frankie premiered on April 29th. The season wrapped up the story of the two, who were brought together after their husbands revealed they were gay and left for each other. Besides Fonda, Tomlin, Waterson, and Sheen; the show starred Brooklyn Decker, June Diane Raphael, Baron Vaughn, Ethan Embry. The happy ending hints there is no Grace and Frankie Season 8 coming around.
What we know about Grace and Frankie
The Netflix original series Grace and Frankie follows the lives of two women after their husbands come out as gay and declare they plan to marry each other. Jane Fonda and Lily Tomlin play Grace Hanson and Frankie Bergstein, respectively. At the same time, Sam Waterston, Martin Sheen, Brooklyn Decker, Ethan Embry, June Diane Raphael, and Baron Vaughn have supporting roles throughout the show.
The first season of the series premiered on Netflix on May 8, 2015. The second through sixth seasons were released yearly from 2016 to 2020. The seventh and final season will be split into two parts; four episodes premieried on August 13, 2021, and the final twelve releasing on April 29, 2022.
Critics had mixed reviews of Grace and Frankie when it first came out, but they have largely been positive about the show in its second and subsequent seasons. The show has received several awards, including five Primetime Emmy Award nominations for Outstanding Lead Actress in a Comedy Series and a Golden Globe Award nomination for Best Actress – Television Series Musical or Comedy.
|Show Name||Grace and Frankie Season 8|
|Grace And Frankie Season 8 Status||Not Coming|
Why won’t there be a Grace and Frankie season 8?
It’s not just viewers who will be sad to see Grace and Frankie come to an end – Kauffman feels the same way. In March 2021, she told RadioTimes.com: “It’s always sad. It’s like – I keep using this child metaphor – it’s a little bit like your child is moving away to start a family somewhere else.”
“It’s time, appropriate, but also heartbreaking,” Friends co-creator continued. “All of us enjoy the work, but it means breaking up the family and losing that community you spend 12 hours a day with.”
As Kauffman stated previously, Netflix was the party that wanted to end the show, but she explained that there were no ill feelings. The Los Angeles Times article from January 2020 said: “It was a combination of things. Netflix doesn’t do long-term series anymore. And we are really lucky that we got the seventh season.” It incdicates that Grace and Frankie Season 8 is impossible to happen.
“When we first started this show, we were aiming for seven seasons,” she said. “But as sad as I am that it’s ending, there’s something that makes sense.”
Kaufman told Deadline in April 2022 that she thinks the entertainment industry is losing interest in stories about older women.
“I think it would be hard to sell Grace and Frankie right now,” Kauffman explained. “It’s a little scary that there may not be more shows with women at a certain age.”
“Everybody is looking for, what are they calling it? Comedy forward, no sad-coms,” she said. “When we started Grace and Frankie, we were trying to walk a line between drama and comedy. They don’t want that right now.”
She then said, “Every show has a shelf life. We had already told the stories we wanted to tell. If there ever came a time when we wanted to end the show before Netflix did, Jane and Lily would be the first people we’d have that conversation with.”
Also read about- When is Shadow and Bone Season 2 Coming
Who could be in the Grace and Frankie Season 8 Cast?
If Grace and Frankie Season 8 had occurred, the following characters would have definitely been there:
- Grace Hanson (Jane Fonda) is a quick-witted, sarcastic retired cosmetics mogul. The ex-wife of Robert Hanson, she has two biological children: Brianna and Mallory Hanson. She also later adopts Bud and Coyote with her partner Frankie.
- Frances “Frankie” Bergstein (Lily Tomlin) is a free-spirited artist and the ex-wife of Sol Bergstein. She adopts Bud and Coyote with Grace.
- Robert Hanson, formerly Grace’s husband and a divorce lawyer, is now married to Sol Bergstein and pursuing a career in theatre.
- Sol Bergstein (Sam Waterston) is Frankie’s ex-husband and Robert’s current husband. Sol leaves his well-paying job as a kind and gentle divorce lawyer to become a gay rights activist.
- Brianna Hanson (June Diane Raphael) is the firstborn child of Grace and Robert. She took over her mother’s makeup business, Say, Grace. Brianna has a similar personality to her mom; she’s fierce and straightforward.
- Mallory is the second child of Grace and Robert and the mother of four kids.
- Coyote Bergstein (Ethan Embry) is the adoptive son of Grace and Frankie. He struggled with addiction in his younger years but has since turned his life around and now works as a middle school teacher.
- Grace and Frankie also adopt Nwabudike “Bud” Bergstein (Baron Vaughn). He is a lawyer and leads the law firm left to him by Sol.
Also read about- What is happening with Russian Doll Season 3
Will there be a renewal of release date for Grace and Frankie Season 8?
Unfortunately, things end. And that’s the series had to end. So, there will be no Grace and Frankie Season 8.
Will there be a Grace and Frankie Season 8 Trailer?
You may find one fane-made, but it’s less likely you’ll have one officially.