GATE Biotechnology Exam Syllabus, Eligibility & Books
- Conducting Bodies for Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering
- GATE Biotechnology Scope for admission in IITs
- GATE Exam for Biotechnology
- GATE Biotechnology Exam Pattern
- GATE Biotechnology Syllabus
- Syllabus for GATE Biotechnology Exam (BT) 2022
- Section 1 – Engineering Mathematics
- Section 2 – General Biotechnology
- Section 3
- Section 4 – Fundamentals of Biological Engineering
- Section 5 – Bioprocess Engineering and Process Biotechnology
- Section 6 – Plant, Animal and Microbial Biotechnology
- Section 7 – Recombinant DNA technology and Other Tools in Biotechnology
- Section 8:
- Recommended GATE Biotechnology books
- GATE Preparation Tips
The GATE Biotechnology Exam is an entry-level test you must attend to get admission to Biotechnology PG programmes. It is an entrance exam conducted by the Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) for admission to postgraduate programs in engineering and technology. It is a national-level examination conducted every year in February. The candidates who wish to pursue their careers in the field of engineering and technology can apply for this examination.
The exam tests the candidate’s knowledge in various subjects like mathematics, chemistry, physics, biology and English. The candidates who qualify GATE exam for MTech will be eligible for admission into IITs, NITs, CFTIs and other top institutes offering engineering and technology courses.
The score obtained in this national-level test is valid for three years from the results’ declaration date. The candidates who qualify for this examination will be called for the counselling process. The respective authority will conduct the counselling process and decide which colleges students can opt for admission.
Conducting Bodies for Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering
The GATE exam is administered by seven professional organizations or institutions in various branches of engineering. Through the GATE exam, you may be admitted to M.Tech programs after passing examinations offered by such professional societies or institutes.
- Institution of Engineers (IE)
- Institution of Civil Engineers (ICE)
- Aeronautical Society of India
- Institute of Electronics, Telecommunication Engineers (IETE)
- Indian Institute of Industrial Engineers (IIIE)
- Indian Institute of Metals (IIM)
- Indian Institute of Chemical, Polymer, and Environmental Group (IIChemE)
Students can gain admission into the following courses:
- Master’s degree programs in engineering, technology, architecture, and pharmacy
- Doctoral programs in engineering, technology, and pharmacy
- Postgraduate programs in basic sciences with a related engineering or technology degree
Candidates can apply for this examination through online mode only. The application forms will be available on the official website of GATE. The candidates who wish to apply for this examination must possess a bachelor’s degree in engineering or technology from a recognized university.
GATE Biotechnology Scope for admission in IITs
The GATE Biotechnology score is valid for admission to several postgraduate programs in India, such as the Master of Technology (M.Tech.), Master of Engineering (M.E.), and direct Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) programs in various Indian Institutes of Technology (IITs), National Institutes of Technology (NITs), and other centrally funded technical institutes (CFTIs).
A few private institutions also use the GATE score for their M.Tech admissions. Apart from these, some Public Sector Undertakings (PSUs) have also started recruiting through the GATE exam for entry-level engineering positions. Some foreign institutions also use the score for their PhD programs. All the government-owned institutions are GATE Biotechnology colleges and accept GATE Biotechnology exam as the main criteria for accepting candidates for admission.
Read about different options for MTech Biotechnology Jobs, that you will have after completion of your MTech in Biotechnology.
GATE Exam for Biotechnology
GATE Biotechnology Exam Pattern
|Sections||GENERAL APTITUDE||SUBJECT (BT)|
|Number of Questions||10||55|
|Marks||5 ques. of 1 mark each and 5 ques. of 2 marks each.||25 ques. of 1 mark each and 30 ques. of 2 marks each.|
|Negative Marking||For 1 mark ques – 1/3 marks will be deducted;
For 2 marks ques – 2/3 marks will be deducted.
|No negative marking|
|Types of Question||Multiple Choice||NAT|
|Mode of Exam||Online|
|Total number of Question||65|
GATE Biotechnology Syllabus
The GATE Syllabus for Biotechnology (BT) 2022 has six core subjects, including engineering mathematics and basic aptitude. The GATE Biotechnology 2022 consists of three sections: General Aptitude, Engineering Mathematics, and Core Discipline.
The Core Discipline of Biotechnology has the greatest weighting at 70%. Students are advised to study the topics covered in the syllabus thoroughly.
The topics below are some of the most important ones in the GATE Biotechnology Syllabus 2022: engineering mathematics, biotechnology, recombinant DNA technology, transportation processes, and upstream and downstream processing. The second paper for the GATE Biotechnology Exam exam may be selected as Biomedical/Life Sciences (BM/XL). The BT Syllabus for Biotechnology (BT) 2022 will feature questions from a graduate level.
Syllabus for GATE Biotechnology Exam (BT) 2022
GATE Biotechnology paper will have questions from topics:
Section 1 – Engineering Mathematics
- Linear Algebra
- Differential equations
- Analysis of complex variables
- Probability and Statistics
- Numerical Methods
Section 2 – General Biotechnology
- Genetics and Evolutionary Biology
- Cell Biology
- Molecular Biology
Section 4 – Fundamentals of Biological Engineering
- Engineering principles applied to biological systems
- Classical thermodynamics and Bioenergetics
- Transport Processes
Section 5 – Bioprocess Engineering and Process Biotechnology
- Bioreaction engineering
- Upstream and Downstream Processing
- Instrumentation and Process Control
Section 6 – Plant, Animal and Microbial Biotechnology
Section 7 – Recombinant DNA technology and Other Tools in Biotechnology
- Recombinant DNA technology
- Molecular tools
- Analytical tools
- Computational tools
English grammar; Sentence completion, Instructions; Verbal analogies, Word groups; Critical reasoning, Verbal deduction.
Numerical computation; Numerical reasoning; Numerical estimation; Data interpretation.
Recommended GATE Biotechnology books
If you are looking for a GATE Biotechnology book to prepare for upcoming exam, here are a few recommendations.
|S.No||Name of the book||Author / Publication|
|2.||Fundamentals of Biochemistry||Lehninger|
|3.||Principle of Bioprocess Engineering||P. Doran|
|4.||GATE Biotechnology||GK Publishers|
|5.||Life Science part 1 and 2.||Pathfinder publications|
|7.||GATE General Aptitude and Mathematics||GK Publishers|
|8.||Molecular Cell Biology||lodish and Baltimore|
|9.||Bioprocess Engineering||Schuler & Kargi|
|10.||Bioprocess Engineering principles||Pauline Doran|
|11||Molecular biology of the gene||James Watson|
|13.||Advanced Engineering Mathematics||Erwin Kreyszig|
|14||Principles of Gene manipulation||Primrose & Twyman|
|15.||Gene cloning and DNA analysis||T.A Brown|
GATE Preparation Tips
The GATE Biotechnology exam is a challenging test of your engineering and scientific ability. It is important to prepare thoroughly for the exam, both mentally and physically.
1. Familiarize yourself with the GATE syllabus and question pattern. This will help you focus your studies and understand what types of questions to expect in the exam.
2. Study regularly and do not leave your preparation to the last minute. Make sure you are well-versed in all the topics covered in the syllabus.
3. Practice solving as many GATE mock and sample papers as possible. This will help you build confidence and speed in solving questions.
4. Understand the basic concepts behind each topic, rather than memorizing formulas and equations. This will help you apply your knowledge to solve problems more effectively.
5. Stay calm and focused during GATE Biotechnology Exam, and do not panic if you find a question difficult. Take a deep breath and attempt to solve it to the best of your ability.
Read about Top MTech Biotechnology Colleges in India.
For more latest updates on GATE Biotechnology Exam, stay tuned to WBDSTBT.in.